Daisuke Takahashi Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News and Discussions About the 2010 Olympic Bronze Medalist and World Champion Daisuke Takahashi.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

World Champion Staviski's shame over car accident

Go down 
AuthorMessage
yukisnowflake
1A
1A
yukisnowflake

Number of posts : 225
Localisation : London Canada (country of the Battle of the Blades)
Registration date : 2007-06-09

World Champion Staviski's shame over car accident Empty
PostSubject: World Champion Staviski's shame over car accident   World Champion Staviski's shame over car accident EmptySun Oct 21, 2007 6:46 am

Thu Oct 18, 2007

SOFIA, Oct 18 (Reuters) - World ice dance champion Maxim Staviski said he was full of shame and ready to take any punishment after being involved in a car accident in August that killed one man and seriously injured a woman.

"I can't think about my career at the moment," said the Bulgarian at an emotional news conference on Thursday. "Many people said we should continue competing but I just can't see this happening.

"I'm ashamed to look people in the eye," he added on the brink of tears. "I'm ready to take any punishment."

Staviski has been charged over the death of 24-year-old Petar Petrov and could face up to 10 years in prison.

He and Albena Denkova claimed Bulgaria's first world title in Calgary in 2005 before successfully defending the crown in Tokyo last March.

"I don't feel like a champion," said Staviski. "I feel helpless."

The 29-year-old was over the legal alcohol limit when driving his Jeep as it crashed into two other vehicles near the Black Sea town of Primorsko.

"There was a negative reaction from many people but I can understand them," said Staviski. "I deserve such a reaction. I set a bad example for the whole of Bulgaria and I recognise I committed a crime."

"We can't recover from the shock," said Denkova. "For the moment we're living day by day, we can't think about our sporting career.

"It was so dramatic during the first days after the accident. We didn't go out of our room for more than two weeks. We even didn't go to the balcony. Life seemed to be over for us."

source: http://in.reuters.com/article/worldOfSport/idINIndia-30053320071018
Back to top Go down

World Champion Staviski's shame over car accident
Page 1 of 1