Daisuke Takahashi Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News and Discussions About the 2010 Olympic Bronze Medalist and World Champion Daisuke Takahashi.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating

Go down 
+4
ireni
Faith85j
Calliope
miyu
8 posters
AuthorMessage
miyu
4F
4F
miyu

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2007-06-18

Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  Empty
PostSubject: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 3:21 pm

An unexpected ariticle from Nikkei Shinbun!! cheers Dai-chan is going to explain about figure skating once a month. Cool
This is a very long article so this time I mainly translated page 4 and 5 where DTFF members would be interested. (Sorry my imperfect English, I did in a rush... Neutral )

The World of Figure Skating Nikkei Shinbun 08/18/2010

Above all, the program matters in figure skating.

From P1
(He talked about the importance of choreography.) The programs which I felt such a power of program, are "Phantom of The Opera" and "La Strada".

From P2
I decided to ask Pasquare to choreograph this year's FP. You need a lot of courage to change a choreographer of FP which includes many jumps. *snip* The other reason is that it's likely we can make a good program in the second year. POTO in 2007 was also the second year's work with Nikolai.

From P3
Pasquare, Shae-Lynn and Stephane. They are different but I think they are like each other. They are really good dancers. Their bodies curve like a whip. It's difficult to express, but they are not only beatiful but also have own charm.
I'm also attracted by David Wilson, Yu-na Kim's choreographer. He is good at using "timing"(pacing? He said 「間」). I liked Jeffrey Buttle's program in WC 2008. *snip*

P4
There are skater who choose the music by themselves but I ask a choreographer to do it. If I did it, I might end up with choosing similar music. And they know more music than I. I was surprized Shae-Lynn prepared dozens of music when I asked her to use JAZZ. (So Shae-Lynn's SP is JAZZ!!!! I love you )

I think it takes about a week to get a program choreographed. Though I didn't know it, people often call me "quick learner". Once I watch the movements, I can memorize most of all of them. And I could work with Pasquare and Stephane smoothly because I could guess, like "Probably the choreography will go this way."
But Shae-Lynn was hard. Shae-Lynn herself can skate very well so she did in a moment. I asked her several times "What did you do now? Could you do it again?" Her movements were unpredictable and difficult. And her choreography was so elaborate that it was slow to progress. Everything was so detailed. I could learn a lot.
I said "Please go ahead" many times in my heart. Looking back my experiences, I found similar type of female choreographers among my former choreographers. They built it up in an orderly sequence from the beginning. They stopped to think and went ahead at quite a speed and then thought again. They repeated this process. I couldn't see the whole image of a program until the last. This is interesting for me, as well.

P5
Maybe this is a difference between male and female. Usually a male choreographer builds up the structure of a program first and after that he makes details. So I can see the whole image after about two days' work. But it's not the same with a female choreographer. Honestly speaking, I felt puzzled as it's been five or six years since I worked with a female choreographer.
Every choreographer has full of ideas. Stephane danced on his own when he heard music during a show rehearsal. There are good mimics among them probably because they are good observers, as well.
But I don't have any talent at all. I don't have any idea. I can see which idea is good or bad when it is proposed to me. As I like teaching, I think I'm cut out for it.
So the three programs for this year has been completed in this way. All of them are really wonderful. My current anxiety is "Will I able to skate until competitions start?"
During choreography I can skate it because I'm having a fun and feeling hyper. But sometimes I find it's difficult to do next day. Now I still can't run through those programs well even if I remove all of the jumps. Of course, choreographers won't make such easy programs which I can run through immediately. It all depends on a skater to make a good choreography into a masterpiece.
That would be why choreographers say this to me when I go home. "Good luck with your practice."

Get the Gold!!

Last edited by miyu on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Calliope
1A
1A

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2007-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks again, for the translation, miyu! So the program choreographed by Shae-Lynn is jazz, as expected. But the SP by Stephane is classic, right? So the LP could be either jazz or classic as well... (I also heard a rumor that he also had an SP choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto, has this been confirmed anywhere?)

Just for reference, the article is in Japanese here for anyone who wants to read it.
Back to top Go down
miyu
4F
4F
miyu

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 10:16 pm

Calliope wrote:
But the SP by Stephane is classic, right?
It hasn't been confirmed yet but people is saying it would be Peer Gynt. Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  Icon_neutral
Calliope wrote:
(I also heard a rumor that he also had an SP choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto, has this been confirmed anywhere?)
Dai-chan said clearly "the three programs" in this article. So I think the rumor is wrong. Perhaps another EX by Kenji, I guess. Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Faith85j
1A
1A
Faith85j

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 11:02 pm

Thanks for the translation Miyu you're really really fast!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
And thank you Calliope for the link....a i'll translate it with google translator, i hope to understand something Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ireni
1A
1A
ireni

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:50 pm

miyu, thank you very-very much for translation!!! Again and again! flower You my hero cheers

But...
miyu wrote:
My current anxiety is "Will I able to skate until competitions start?"
sometimes I find it's difficult to do next day. Now I still can't run through those programs well even if I remove all of the jumps.
Oh, what's wrong?! It make me sad Sad
Back to top Go down
http://irenis.diary.ru/
panther
1A
1A
panther

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2010-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 7:28 pm

ireni wrote:
miyu, thank you very-very much for translation!!! Again and again! flower You my hero cheers

But...
miyu wrote:
My current anxiety is "Will I able to skate until competitions start?"
sometimes I find it's difficult to do next day. Now I still can't run through those programs well even if I remove all of the jumps.
Oh, what's wrong?! It make me sad Sad

I thing, Daisuke must choose one of these 3 programs urgently , because it's impossible to skate 3 programs if he wants to win the Worlds Wink

Thanks for the translation Miyu flower

Back to top Go down
miyu
4F
4F
miyu

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Quote :
<table width="90%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Calliope wrote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">But the SP by Stephane is classic, right? </td></tr></table>
It hasn't been confirmed yet but people is saying it would be Peer Gynt. Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  Icon_neutral
Sorry, I was wrong. Stephane's SP is a classical music. This is confirmed. IMO, skating two Jazz programs in one competition sounds a bit strange. Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  Icon_rolleyes Well well, let's wait and see.

It seems Dai-chan's open practice is scheduled on Saturday.
Fuji TV Sport 21th Aug. 高橋大輔公開練習
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/sports/sporut/index.html
We could find something in the broadcast. Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  Icon_bounce

ireni wrote:
Oh, what's wrong?! It make me sad Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  Icon_sad
panther wrote:
I thing, Daisuke must choose one of these 3
programs urgently , because it's impossible to skate 3 programs if he
wants to win the Worlds Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  Icon_wink
It's nothing we have to worry, ireni and panther. He just meant He had to practice more. It's usual for skaters in this time of a season. Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  Icon_wink

Back to top Go down
ireni
1A
1A
ireni

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:34 pm

miyu, I hope that are no reasons for excitement Rolling Eyes
Just I'm very inclined to worry in advance. It's always happened with me, sorry Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://irenis.diary.ru/
Faith85j
1A
1A
Faith85j

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:55 pm

miyu wrote:

We could find something in the broadcast.

Oh good!!!!! bounce bounce
I'm really curious to see some new practice....i love practice Laughing Smile
Thanks again Miyu Surprised
Back to top Go down
malo42
1A
1A

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 3:26 am

Thanks for the translation! He can't possibly retire after this season, he has too many choreographers he wants to work with! Razz
Back to top Go down
anorithil
1A
1A
anorithil

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 8:05 am

miyu wrote:

We could find something in the broadcast.

so people in Japan say 25:05 ??? Very Happy

that means 1:05am the next day?
Back to top Go down
miyu
4F
4F
miyu

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Sorry for my rough translation, enjoy!!

The World of Figure Skating Part 2: Nikkei Shinbun 09/22/2010 Link to the article.

Looking good or bad? Polish flow and expressiveness.

I'm practicing with good feeling now. I can concentrate naturally when my spirit is uplifted. How do I uplift it? I don't know. It just rises naturally. But I came to know my own pace recently, like when/how I get tired. When I get tired, I feel irritated and am in bad mood.
This is what I couldn't say before, it was disastrous until last December. I took my frustration out on both people and things. I'm ashamed to say, I was about to break my mobile one time.
It seemed I was nervous especially during the season, though I thought I was relaxed. I was sensitive to even small everyday things.

It's been three years since I started working with the team. It's important that we, the whole team have "a-un no kokyu 阿吽の呼吸" like when I say this then it will turn out to be that. The things that happened last year won't happen again this year, I think.
I didn't skate much from April to July in order not to obstruct the choreography and the shows. When I didn't skate for two days, I felt a little different/uncomfortable but it was no problem.
But it doesn't work as competitions come closer. I skate for three hours a day at least since August. Actually I want to skate for four hours or more but it's difficult due to the problem of ice rinks in Japan. I think it would be OK as long as the content of practice is intense.
In August, I don't care about how many times I fall on jumps or during steps. To run through the programs is mportant. As I could use the ice rink exclusively for many hours in Hokkaido camp in August, I skated a lot. I'm practicing the techniques like jump and spin but it's more important for me to absorb the programs until my body starts moving on its own. As for jumps, I forcus on it from September.

Basically I think it's better to run through both SP and FP once a day.
By the way, to do run-through every day is the way of practice in the U.S and to do it about twice a week is Russian way. In both case, we do part-pracice in the rest of the time. A program is divined into a few parts and we repeat one of them again and again and pursue every detail. I learned this way of practice from Nikolai Morozov. Pursuing the details is very interesting but it's difficult to do in Japan.
I'm gifted because I can use Kansai Univ's ice rink preferentially. But many skaters (in Japan) can't use ice rinks so freely. It's lucky if they can do run-through with music once or twice a day.

Simply speaking, what I think of men's figure skating is "looking good? or bad?" The posture is important but what is more important is if a skater can grab people's heart by his performance. There are spins and jumps as elements but there is a limit to go ahead of his rivals only by elements. I think overall flow and connection is important.
All those things like body line, beautiful position and posture with a carefully positioned toe, are required in order to connect the whole. I make them my own by practicing repeatedly. When the music changes, the points I have to pay attention to also change. So I ask "Look stange?" to Utako Nagamitsu coach every year when I start to skate a new program.
If she says "strange" then "How about this?". I rarely look at a mirror. Fisrt I move imaging the movement and adjust it hearing the coach's opinion. It would be useful to learn ballet or dance for figure skating but I have little experience to learn them.

But it would likely end up with just "yah, it's a lovely movement". You can't capture the audience enough. What is needed in addition to it, is expressiveness. It depends on one's feeling. Probably it's important to abandon one's shyness.
We Japanese tend to be humble because we care so much about how you are looked at by people when you stand out by doing something flashy. But in the world you have to stand out over other people otherwise you can survive.
I've succeeded in abandoning my shyness in the relatively earlier stage of my career, but still there are times when I'm distracted by eyes around me and can't get into good mood. During the choreography of this season's SP manbo, the choreographer and I used the ice exclusively so I could concentrate on it.
However I said expressiveness is important, I've never been drown in myself, though I do let myself into my performance. I can't convey anything if I'm just narcissistic. So I never think if I look beautiful during my performance.

I always perform thinkig these things like "How much am I delivering the image of the music?" "Is this face expression suitable for this expression?" "The audience are reacting this way, so I'm going to respond this way." This is not what you learn with your brain, it depends on whether you want to do so or not.
I chose more adult musics for this year. I'd like to express it with my performance. It's just my thought, I don't want to force it on people watching my performance. But, well, I'd be glad if you see it.

When I was a child, skating was just fun. I went to an ice rink at 10:30am and skated until 7:45pm on weekends and holidays. I played outside there, too, though. Then I once came back home for dinner and went again to a rink which opened late at night to skate. It was really good for me that I skated just for fun regardless of datails. Well, I had to work hard afterward because I hadn't learned the basics of skating.
Various people taught me various things after I took lessons seriously.

I try to do everything I learn. Because I don't know which way fits me well and also my body is changing day by day.
But the important thing is to choose only what fits me from all the things I learn. I think it's the key of growth. It seems I have been a type of a person who can find which is good or bad for oneself immediately since early times.
You can try to do everything what you are taught but there are a people who can't digest all of them. So it is necessary to abandon the things that don't fit you. And you have to make the choice by yourself.

Nowadays children don't spend much time on the ice, not like they used to do. Probably the circumstance of ice rinks in Japan is the cause of it. In my childhood, I could skate as much as I wanted, as figure skating wasn't that popular. Now the population of figure skating is increasing, but disappointingly I've never heard the number of ice rinks increased.
We can't skate freely. I sincerely hope more ice rinks will be built in Japan.

Back to top Go down
Dencar
1A
1A
Dencar

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks for the translation, miyu! Great job!

I can't gather my thoughts for now about this article, but as a whole -it seems that Daisuke has matured in many ways. He found his pace and his character. Also, the demand for skating versus ice rinks has gone up in Japan. He mentioned before that he want to provide a nice environment for skating -maybe thats what he means -by building more ice rinks in Japan.
Back to top Go down
http://dencar.livejournal.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating    Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating  Empty

Back to top Go down

Daisuke's column in Nikkei : The World of Figure Skating
Page 1 of 1