Daisuke Takahashi Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News and Discussions About the 2010 Olympic Bronze Medalist and World Champion Daisuke Takahashi.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion

Go down 
+2
anorithil
miyu
6 posters
AuthorMessage
miyu
4F
4F
miyu

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2007-06-18

Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion Empty
PostSubject: Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion   Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:49 am

It appeared Dai-chan started a column series (nonregular) on Sankei EX (news paper). Here is a translation of the first one.

Sankei EX
http://www.sankei-express.com/

In between calm and passion. <vol.1> 07/12/2010 Sankei EX

Don't get carried away, remember my old self.

Now I'm in the midst of practice of choreography. I skated one of them, "La Valse D'Amelie" planned as an EX, in an ice show ("Dreams on Ice") on the other day. I was very nervous and surprised to find my hands were trembling at the begining of the program because I skated in front of the audience for the first time in more than a month. The body and mind after the holidays didn't lie. (bitter smile)

I took off for the first time in two years, because I was doing the rehab in this time last year. I took Utako Nagamitsu-sensei, who has helped me for ten years, to Hawaii, my first Hawaii. I let her spend time doing nothing and feeling at ease in a room with ocean view. Did I do something good to her, even if it was only slightly? I hope so. I couldn't do anything for my parents yet. I want to find time to take them who prefer domestic, to a hot spring
in Japan.
As for myself, my body fat increased to 8% as I spent time happily in the beach in Hawaii with completely forgetting about figure skating.(laugh) I really thank that I received praises from people around after the olympics. But as the choreography season has started now again, I warn myself not to get carried away and try to remember what I used to be when I failed to get good results.

"La Valse D'Amelie" is choreographed by my favorite skater, Stephane Lambiel. When I saw him again after the world championships, he offered me "Please tell me if there is a thing I can help you." As I liked his skating and I didn't know how long I continue to be a competitive skater, and I wanted to do various things during the amatuer period, I decided to ask him a choreography.
However I like this piano music, the slow movements until the first jump comes in are pretty embarassing for me. (laugh) I'm good at fast movements but I'm not good at slow and still ones and they make me embarassed. Stephane is good at such movements so I could learn a lot from him in this choreography.

I'd like to make people think "Oh, Takahshi does this kind of thing." I try to do so every year but especially this year I want to change the image of the previous programs which impressed people in the olympics. That's the reason why I ask different choreographers to make each of SP, FP and EX. I'd like to show the wide range of my skating by skating different genres.

I started to study English after all these years. It's too late, isn't it (laugh)! Because I was keenly aware of the necessity of better communication with a choreographer this time. In fact I thought of it everytime when I went
abroad, but I always forgot after I returned. So this time I ordered a learning materials while I was still abroad. I'm listening to the CD during travel since the day I came back to Japan.

Though there is a lot of things I want to try, it's already July, there isn't much time left before competitions!

Quote :
I took Utako Nagamitsu-sensei, who has helped me for ten years, to Hawaii, my first Hawaii. I let her spend time doing nothing and feeling at ease in a room with ocean view.
How sweet of him. Embarassed

Quote :
That's the reason why I ask different choreographers to make each of SP, FP and EX.
Does it mean he make/made another EX choreographed by a different choreographer? Is it Kenji? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by miyu on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:24 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
anorithil
1A
1A
anorithil

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion   Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 11:21 am

miyu, thank you so much for the translation!

we don't get much news about Dai-chan these days though.. Do you know what he is up to after PIW?
Back to top Go down
miyu
4F
4F
miyu

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion   Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 11:27 am

anorithil wrote:
we don't get much news about Dai-chan these days though.. Do you know what he is up to after PIW?
No.... Neutral I have no idea whether he is still in Japan or not. bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
panther
1A
1A
panther

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2010-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion   Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 3:08 pm

miyu wrote:
"I took off for the first time in two years, because I was doing the rehab in this time last year. I took Utako Nagamitsu-sensei, who has helped me for ten years, to Hawaii, my first Hawaii. I let her spend time doing nothing and feeling at ease in a room with ocean view. Did I do something good to her, even if it was only slightly? I hope so. I couldn't do anything for my parents yet. I want to find time to take them who prefer domestic, to a hot spring in Japan.

He's grateful boy, so nice! I love you
Back to top Go down
miyu
4F
4F
miyu

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion   Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:37 pm

In between calm and passion. <vol.2> 08/16/2010 Sankei EX
Sankei EX http://www.sankei-express.com/

The things only I can do in the off season.

Last month my parents came to my house after a long time, bringing a huge amount of paperboard for autograph which they have been asked to get my autograph on in these four years. It was an incredibly huge amount so that I had to write patiently for four hours. It was around mid night when I finished. My parents decided to stay the night at my house. We had to sleep in the same room, because there aren't any geust rooms in my house. That was strange! It's been years since I slept with them in the same space!
My mother talked alone and didn't hear others' words, same as usual. And my father said something contradictory occasionally. They even had a slight quarrel. I enjoyed listening to such their conversations and it brought back memories.

<I eat what I like.>

Since July I have been back to Kansai Univ's ice rink and after that I went to the camp and concentrated on practice. However I'm not a type of a person who works diligently and strictly everyday and if I tried to be so I would be stressed out. So in this time of the season when there is no competition, I dare not push myself much. I loosen myself and try to do things which I only can do during the off season.
I don't care much about my diet, too. As I tend to dine out or have food from convenience stores, I try to have handmade foods sold in box lunch shop or department stores at least for dinner. Therefore I sometimes gain weight.
Utako Sensei used to scold me when she found it but nowadays she only says "now it's up to you." It's scary. I keep telling myself I have to control myself with self-responsibility but I persuade myself this kind of pacing would be necessary in order to peek myself in the competition season.

<Adapting new programs.>

The reason why I'm growing my hair is that it's off season now. Because I will shorten my hair in competitions so I only can grow it in this time of the season, and also with long hair it's easier for me to understand the feeling of how to shake my head during choreography. So I'm growing my hair.
Now it's the time to adapt programs by skating a lot. I went to Detroit and Toronto the other day, Pasquale Camerlengo made a FP and Shae-Lynn Bourne made a SP. I will disclose the detail of them later. This year's programs are different from the last year's. We tried to break down the image of the last year.
I myself really like them but I'd like to see the reaction from the audience. Probably I can say, the both SP and FP are in the same genre but they are yin and yang.

<Taking on a challenge for "the process of making". >

My recent challenge is being resposible for a male group performance of Friends on Ice. I'm not good at choreographing so I asked one of my friends, who dances, for choreography and to think about the music arrangement together.
It's a hip hop and aimed to show un-figureskating-like coolness and also the good part of figure skating, "skate". It was difficult but to experience "the process of making" was good for me. Being given such a opptinity and skating the number which is different from competition. These are the greatness of "Friends on Ice".
This also is the closing event of the off season. I'd like to give a performance which excite the audience.

peace1
Back to top Go down
Dencar
1A
1A
Dencar

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion   Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks for the excellent translations, as always, miyu Very Happy

I think Utako-sensei wants to give Dai-chan more control now, after all he's quite old/mature to be told. He has grown so much through the years as a talented and skilled skater.

So nice of him to let his parents stay at his place for the night. And thoughtful and sensible of him to sign autographs for 4 hours!

On his hair, I'm a bit relieved he's going to cut his hair short again. I liked his hairstyle last season, especially at the Worlds. And so that's why he wants to cut his hair short, so that he can feel his choreography. Down to the last detail!

Thanks again for the translation miyu!

Last edited by Dencar on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://dencar.livejournal.com
anorithil
1A
1A
anorithil

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion   Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 7:02 pm

Thank you for the translation!!

However could you confirm that "the both SP and FP are in the same genre but they are yin and yang" means SP is yin and FP is yang, or just one of them is yin and the other is yang??

As he did reveal something about FP... may I say that I do feel FP is a mixture of yin and yang, just like Eye, which is also one of the reasons why I like him Smile However I think he means FP is yin, just my guess, let's wait until the season starts Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Calliope
1A
1A

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2007-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion   Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks so much for the translation, miyu! It's great to be able to hear a detailed update from him during the off-season.

anothril, in the original Japanese, Daisuke said "The SP and FP are the same genre, but they are like yang and yin." miyu probably translated it to "yin and yang" because that's always the order in English, and it sounds weird reversed. I have no idea if Daisuke chose the order to specifically reflect which word reflects which program, though. He might just be using that expression to say that they're similar but different.
Back to top Go down
anorithil
1A
1A
anorithil

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion   Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 9:15 pm

thank you Calliope!

interesting that in Chinese we also say "yin and yang", not reversed!
Back to top Go down
Genki
2A
2A

Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2009-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion   Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 1:44 am

Hi Miyu:

Thanks a lot for new article. I enjoyed a lot.

My understanding of "yin and yang" is that, SP and LP are both classic(just an example, maybe jazz.), but short uses Major scale and long uses minor scale or vice versa.

Hope he is doing well in Hokkaido camp.
Back to top Go down
miyu
4F
4F
miyu

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion   Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 3:40 pm

You are welcome!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you for the correction, Calliope.
I just wrote "yin and yan" automatically because it's the way we usually use it in Japanese, too. silent

Genki wrote:
My understanding of "yin and yang" is that, SP and LP are both classic(just an example, maybe jazz.), but short uses Major scale and long uses minor scale or vice versa.
It seems the genre is Jazz. Please check the new thread. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion   Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion Empty

Back to top Go down

Daisuke's column in Sankei EX: In between calm and passion
Page 1 of 1